In 1929 Roland Howard commissioned Paul R. Williams to design this English-influenced tudor-style brick, stucco and wood, single-family residence for his lot on South Fuller. Howard purchased the property in one of the fastest-growing, middle-class, residential areas in Los Angeles—the Miracle Mile district. The decentralized nature of this area was directly related to the growing automobile culture and fashionable retail establishments were built within a four mile radius of the new neighborhoods. Roland Howard embraced this automobile culture and his new home included space for both his family and his car.
South Fuller and the blocks surrounding it were filled with duplexes, apartments and single family residences representing the many architectural styles popular in Los Angeles during the 1920s. New home owners felt comfortable selecting familiar historical revival styles shown in magazines and newspaper articles. Stucco Spanish Revival inspired homes predominated but Tudor manors were "second most favored by builders in the neighborhood." (Miracle Mile North HPOZ report December 9, 2010) Williams' design for Howard included the faux half-timbering, tall chimney, wood, plaster and brick typical of this Tudor-style of architecture.
Many of the homes on South Fuller were built from plans purchased from pattern books or catalogs with the owner acting as his own contractor. The Howard residence was one of the few in the area designed by a licensed architect and customized for the client. This two-story home with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths has been continuously occupied since its construction. In May 1989 it was added to the City of Los Angeles’ Historic-Cultural Monuments list.